Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mother-Daughter Tea 2010

While teaching at FCS, I learned about a group of moms who had a tea party for their daughters at the end of each school year. I wanted to do the same for Ellen and the girls in her class. At a small school like FCS, these girls will be in the same classes for many years to come. I want my daughter to grow up with good friends who are also good influences. I also want to get to know the mothers of Ellen's friends. After all, when she is a teenager and is hanging out at someone's house, I want to know that the parents have the same values that I do.

I sent an email to the other moms of daughters in kindergarten, checking for interest. The response was overwhelming! Following that first email, we had a meeting and exchanged many other emails planning this special day for our daughters. On June 26, 2010, we met together at West Haven Baptist Church for our tea party. The theme was "God's Princesses" and most of the girls dressed as princesses. Each mom gave their daughter a charm bracelet with a single charm, a cross. We plan to add other charms in the coming years. It was a wonderful get together: a chance for the girls to catch up during the summer and a chance for the moms to chat and "get our infrastructure in place" for later years.

I really encourage other moms to start this tradition with their daughters.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: