Friday, March 7, 2014

Family Reading Time

We started Family Reading Time this week and I already love it.  It is a 30 minute period of time in which all of us read a book, including me.  The kids received ipad minis for Christmas, and it seems like they never watch tv or read anymore.  I know that they read at school and sometimes at home, but when Ellen informed me that she was in danger of not reaching her reading goal this quarter, I knew I had to do something.

I love to read.  Always have.  I want my kids to be readers.  There is a lot of research out there about how beneficial daily reading can be for children.  Both of them like reading, but when faced with the choice between the ipad and a book; well, the book just doesn't make the cut.  Once I made it a rule that they had to read for a half-hour, they obediently picked up a book and re-discovered how much they love reading.

It's great for me too, because I have to take time to slow down and pick up a book.  Quiet time is a luxury that I sometimes don't have.  It is so nice to take a moment to just sit and read.  I'm thinking about doing something similar at school.  We have some time in the morning for the kids to read after they have finished morning work, but it doesn't work well.  I'm part of the problem with my rushing around trying to take care of things and constantly interrupting to ask for field trip money, homework, whether they plan to order lunch, etc.  If I settled down for a few minutes and the kids saw that it was important to me, maybe they would come to value it more.

So, blog readers (the slim number that you are!) get off the internet for a few minutes and spend some time reading.  You will feel refreshed and ready for the rest of the day!

No comments: